Value Of Domain Name Selecting

Factors That Can Potentially Hinder The Value Of A Domain Name

There are factors that can hinder the value of a domain name to be sure. If a domain name was ever used for pr0n, or caught up in any legal issues, most people don’t want any part of it. Thanks to the Wayback Machine (Internet Archive) we can see snapshots of the history of many web sites, to see if it was used in any way that may decrease it’s value.

for more visit: mybloggerbuz.blogspot.com

Personal Beliefs Might Fluctuate (And Randomize) The “Value” Of A Domain Name

I think it boils down to what someone might think of your web site when hearing the domain name, whether it has value. And this is really based on personal beliefs. Let me list a few examples.
1) I hear a lot that a .net domain might be looked at as less than valuable, because it’s a cheap knock off to a .com.
2) When I told a friend my web site address, which has the TLD .xyz he thought that I was kidding and that can’t possibly be real. My girlfriend (future wife, woot!) refuses to register a .xyz because she doesn’t lend it any credibility. Tell that to Google, who registered abc.xyz. Good buy I say!
3) A .com does always seems cooler than any other TLD doesn’t it? I know several Canadian business owners who would prefer not to purchase the .ca and opt for the .com instead, because it is “more valuable”. Is it? I don’t know.
4) Plenty of people, primarily those that still want to see their keywords in the domain name, like the idea of hyphens in a domain, for when they can’t get the “right” one because someone else squatted on the version without the hyphens. So, do hyphen domains have value? Depends who you ask. Me, in the past would say no. It felt like a spammy choice. In fact, when I was looking for screencast software that was both cloud based, and that I could use offline, I tried several for more than a year without feeling happy about the choices. And, I always skipped past screencast-o-matic.com in the search results because I didn’t like the two hyphens. I was a hyphen snob. Well, let me tell you, for whatever reason, I decided to try their software, and I have been using it for 3 years, and I don’t want to shop around anymore. Perceived value of a domain made me overlook a great site/tool for so long.
5) Remember that social site profilactic.com? It’s a one word, real word, domain name and a .com to boot, 3 plusses for domain name value wouldn’t you say? Well, some people would be embarrassed to have a site with that name in their browser history. Kind of decreases the value a little, when used as a social site, I feel.

for more visit: mybloggerbuz.blogspot.com

Is There Any “Real” Value In A Domain Name Choice?

I guess my point of all of this is, if you believe for example, that a domain has more value because it is a golden oldie, and you pay more for it (or convince someone to buy yours), then it is more valuable. However, you won’t be able to sell me a .com for more than $12 just because it’s aged, unless it’s attached to a web site. Because I don’t feel that age has value in this case. It’s a matter of a opinion, one that premium domain sellers would love for you to buy into.
And, if you are holding on to the idea that using your target keyword in the domain name will bring you higher in search results, and you pay more for it, then it is more valuable (to you at least), but it’d be tough to measure your ROI.
To me, I think the value of a domain lies in what it is being used for, and if the intended audience will see it appropriate for the intended purpose.
There are areas that are pretty much undeniable true though. Things like:

No comments:

Post a Comment